Manual handling still accounts for a large percentage of work place injuries and illness. However, with a sound knowledge of the workplace issues your employees face and with selective training a lot of these injuries can be avoided. Where organisations choose to ignore staff concerns or fail to put into place sufficient controls and manual handling training to safeguard their employees the consequences can be costly, both to the organisation and to those affected. Lost earnings, higher insurance and possible compensation are some of the potential issues faced.
The Level 2 Award in Manual Handling Principles & Practices ensures that managers and staff nominated to fulfil health and safety positions are properly trained to recognise the potential hazards and risks involved in manual handling and identify those employees at risk who carry out manual handling tasks. It is vital that employees in these roles use the correct manual handling techniques and adhere the company’s manual handling procedures in order to remain safe.
The course syllabus is detailed and will cover such subjects as:
- Understanding manual handling;
- Understanding current legislation and guidance;
- Manual handling injuries;
- Anatomy and physiology of the back and spine;
- Avoiding manual handling;
- Accident reporting and recording;
- Risks associated with lifting and handling;
- Manual handling risk assessments and controls;
- Loads and lifting techniques;
- Working environment;
- Other environmental factors;
- Individual capability and principles behind good practice; and
- The importance of manual handling training.
This manual handling course is a 1 day training course lasting approximately 7 hours (depending on group size) starting at 08:30 am and finishing at 4:30 pm.
Candidates will receive continuous practical assessment throughout the training day and will be required to sit and pass a multi-choice question paper to gain the Level 2 Award in Manual Handling Principles & Practices. A basic level of both spoken and written English will be required.
On successful completion of the course candidates will receive an industry recognised Manual Handling Level 2 Certificate which is valid for three years.
Refreshments and lunch are provided throughout the day and are included in the course fee.